Monday, October 2

all the while...

Does it ever seem to you that typing a blog is pointless if it's going to be erased accidentally once the written thought is complete? I seem to have a hidden psychotic affiliation with deleting my own blog after many strenuous minutes of contemplation and exertion! Please forgive any subtle frustration in this post... I must admit I was tempted to forever reject the idea of blogging after tonight's incident.
Anyway...
let's think about life in 2006 AD. What comes to mind? 2006. I think of a history of amazing feats & heroic appeals for justice; ugly jealousy & malice; creativity & education (whether richly indulged in or lacking to the point of cruel embarrassment); a mix & match of war & peace & fragments of families; scattering languages & cultures; technological development - all the while relationships being shoved despairlingly, foolishly, beneath financial gain's cellar... soon forgotten & rotten.

I wonder why we don't more often learn from our elders, & why we choose not to listen more readily to wisdom - from a toddler's inquisitive mouth or from the man down the street whose children moved out (emotionally, relationally) long before they changed address.
If we were the only generation left before Jesus returns, would we consider more wisely the outcome of our thoughts, actions, speech & priorities? Would we be consistent? Would we care? I wonder.

All the while.. I wonder what's going on now, as we speak, as we live day by day. I sometimes wonder what effect one life could have on a nation, a church, a family, a child - the future seems so elusive, like it's either a mysterious thief of our dreams & plans, or like a flighty fairy that always dances just in front, colouring our path with soft & beautiful sprinkles of hope.

We can never know what's happening 'all the while' - now is all we have, and our finite minds couldn't handle a teaspoon of God's super-galactic ;) knowledge even if our life depended on it. Thankfully, my life doesn't depend on knowing tomorrow's treasures or troubles, victories or griefs... Knowing my God is enough, & having His love, guidance, strength & peace will be my security (not my blogging skills!).

Remember, your life is not a post which could be erased as easily & foolishly as mine often are... your life was purposed deep in the heart & mind of our Father 'before' time even arrived.
'Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them. Search me, o God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.' (Psalm 139: 16,23,24)
Knowing what really happens during your life (all the eternity-shaping moments with friends & strangers, love & forgiveness, conversations whether in-depth or light-hearted, life-changing decisions, cultural/relational/educational/spiritual breakthrough) has already been seen & counted in heaven! Just imagine what could happen all the while you're simply doing life alongside the One who gently, firmly holds & preserves your future & mine.

Please remind me to keep life in perspective by learning to trust Jesus' priorities & promises instead of Sydney's. May we see our day's interaction, contemplation, words & activities as part of heaven's communication with people rather than personal, independent functions. We are His, & the Lord is eternal... never underestimate the lasting effect of our daily lives of love!

Our expectation is in Him, and He will make great things happen by His Spirit's might all the while... miracles are taking place all over the world in hearts & lives as we speak! How exciting that my life is not as isolated as Australia feels. :) Jesus said, 'you didn't choose me, remember; I chose you, and put you in the world to bear fruit, fruit that won't spoil. [If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love... when you're joined with me.. the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing] As fruit bearers , whatever you ask the Father in relation to me, he gives you. But remember the root command: love one another.'


-- John chapter 15, a mix of verses 4,5,9,16,17 paraphrased by Eugene Peterson in the Message]

2 comments:

kanadians in korea said...

alia, you have a serious gift for writing. i thoroughly enjoyed this blog, and can't wait to read more. it was very encouraging. love you so much! thank you for our chat tonight. em.

meredow said...

gracias para tus pensamientos (thoughts)! through phone calls, e-mails, & now your blog, you have been one of the most inspiring people in my life!